Re: Ang. RE: Bdb defaults - WAS: problem importing entries.

You see, one approach I sometimes favour (and I've been working towards
this in ACLs, for instance) is not to have any defaults.  All legal
parameters MUST be present in a configuration file, and implementations
shoudl bail out if any is absent; issues may arise when parameters are
incompatible, but some crafting should allow this to be worked out (e.g.
allowing a value of "undefined" for those that are incompatible).  Of
course, users should be given up-to-date templates to start with, so they
don't really have to read ALL about ANY parameter to be able to simply
"give it a try".  I think defaults really make things tricky, because they
hide a lot of knowlegde about what can be important and even about how
things behave, and then one always needs to remember (or look up) default
values; this approach would really make things simpler, because everything
would be in the slapd.conf.  Would you consider this a better approach?

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it