SASL Auth or remote access

Thanks Quanah

After I added the qmail template, I added the index fields before even
restarting the server.  But, somehow, just the act of stopping and
restarting the server seems to have fixed the mailAlternateAddress
problem.  The funny thing was I could search on other fields in that
template, just not that one, but on the actual LDAP server, it now works.

I have so many problems with OpenLDAP, I hope you guys don't get too sick
of my questions.  I am trying to prove something can be done in real
production.  It's tricky, and I need to take my steps quite small to
insure that production does not suffer.

The next two problems that I am trying to solve are:

  - While this search now works from the LDAP server, I really want it to
be available throughout my network.  While I can duplicate the query on
a second FC2 machine (my "mon" server), I can not execute that query on
a third machine.  In other words:

LDAP on srv2
Query: ldapsearch -x -h srv2 uid=kevin
SRV1 Results: No such object
SRV2 Results: Record returned
SRV3 Results: Record Returned

  - The other issue is that I would like to get SASLAUTHD to work.  On
SRV2 if I do a:

# testsaslauthd -u kevin -p yomamma

it returns:
0: NO "authentication failed"

I think this is the same reason I keep needing the -x on the ldapxxx
commands.  I have Cyrus-SASL installed from rpm including the devel libs
and plugins for plain and MD5.  So how do I get ldapxxx commands to work
without the -x?

Not sure which of these to tackle first!  Any help telling me which is
better to go after first or if it matters, that would be great.  BTW,
eventually, I want the SRV1 machine to hold a replica of the SRV2 and
synced via slurpd.  I know that I need saslauthd working for that to
happen, then SRV1 will pull the data direct from its localhost interface,
so I suspect the second problem is more critical than the first, but I bow
to the experts.

TIA
Kevin Fries