RH/FC openldap stability (was RE: sasl UID mapping)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Medievalist wrote:

> Under Red Hat 7.3, I could not maintain a stable LDAP-based server
> for more than 400 people, but my guess was that the problems were
> related more to nss_ldap and pam_ldap than to OpenLDAP or ldbm.

It was most likely due to RH7 openldap-server package having been
configured to use gdbm as its db backend. It appeared to be horribly
unreliable for any kind of usage other than read-only: updates were
unreliable at best, non-functional effectively, apparently due to
concurrency issues in gdbm. The fix is to edit and recompile the RH
rpms to use db3 rather than gdbm. Openldap has been working reliably
on 7 with db3 as backend for over a year, for the ISP whom I helped
with advice on an LDAP rollout (multi-K users).

The openldap RPMs in FC1 have slapd compiled to link against a slapd
specific version of DB4:

# ldd `which slapd`
        libslapd_db-4.1.so => /usr/lib/libslapd_db-4.1.so (0x007df000)

And are working quite reliably for me, albeit on a small 'toy'
network.

> Sorry for the drift OT, I will return to lurking now.
>
> --Charlie

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A