Supporting different LDAP version protocols?

Hey all,

I have slapd 2.1.25 running locally on my WinXP box, and I've written this
little dummy client to use the LDAP API calls to bind, and search.

The problem I'm running into is that when I do an init call, it works but
the protocol value on the returned LDAP* is 2. Then when I try to bind, I
get a "Protocol error". If I change that value to 3, then binding works fine
and I'm up and running.

So, I really have two questions.

1. Why isn't the init call setting the protocol to 3, which is what my
server is obviously expecting? Is it something wrong with my server setup,
or is this always the default for the init? If it's the default, then is
there an API call to ask a LDAP server what protocol it supports? Some
clients I've tried let you specify the version when you setup the server
connection, but others (such as Outlook) don't so they must be able to
figure it out on thier own somehow (or else they just try both).

2. How do I setup my server to support version 2 binding? I found a post
that mentioned putting "allow v2_bind" in the .conf file, but slapd tells me
that "v2_bind" is not a recognized feature in "allow <features>".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

mharp