Re: OpenLDAP <-> Advanced Directory Syncs

> Just as a data point: Sun One 5.2 (Beta) now has the ability to do
> this.  We're not sure to what extent. I need to show that ability
> within  OpenLDAP if I'm to sell this solution to management.

If I am correct, Sun One 5.2 is a variant of their "Meta Directory"
product that was a hard sell. It would allow you to do basic things like
modify values and do attribute mapping. I don't know if there is anything
that OpenLDAP supports for pulling and manipulating data for aggregation.
A company called Radiant Logic makes a really nice virtual directory
product that is amazing for this.

> Thus, my original question stands: Is there a way, within OpenLDAP to
> extract info from an ADS?

Unknown, but if you look at recent messages on this list regarding AD you
will see that there are some limitations to what you can get from AD -
independent of the client (you can find more information on AD from other
sources). As long as you don't need restricted bits of info, any "Meta
Directory" type of product should work for you.

You may be able to use an OpenLDAP backend to read data from AD on a
request-by-request basis, or use a referral to you AD server. Does anyone
know if there is any OpenLDAP-based "pull-type" synchronization component?

-lon