Re: what authentication method to use with Outlook?

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:35:47PM -0400, Guy Middleton wrote:
> So the question is, what kind of authentication does Outlook do when the "Secure
> Password Authentication" box is checked?
>
> Also, the Directory Service -> Properties -> Advanced dialog, there is a
> "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" box, which forces a
> connection to LDAPS instead of LDAP.  This doesn't work either (I have
> verified on the server that LDAPS is indeed up and running), but I would
> rather not use LDAPS anyway.

I have deduced that this must be NTLM.

OpenLDAP would appear to support this, since NTLM is in the current
Cyrus-SASL, and I can do this:

	guy@blink$ ldapwhoami -Y NTLM -d -v -U guy -w foobar
	SASL/NTLM authentication started
	SASL username: guy
	SASL SSF: 0
	dn:cn=guy middleton,ou=people,dc=obstruction,dc=com

But, when I try to use Outlook, the server log says
"do_bind: v3 unknown authentication method (137)".

Is Outlook trying to use something other than NTLM here?