Re: SuSE 8.0 Linux as OpenLDAP client

First, my problem was the nscd daemon on SuSE 8.0.

Second, here are the different login PAM configs FYI

DEBIAN 3.0:
auth requisite pam_securetty.so
auth requisite pam_nologin.so
auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
auth required pam_env.so
auth required pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
account sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account required pam_unix.so
session required pam_unix.so
session optional pam_lastlog.so
session optional pam_motd.so
session optional pam_mail.so standard noenv
password sufficient /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
password required pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5 use_first_pass

SUSE 8.0: auth requisite pam_unix.so nullok #set_secrpc auth required pam_securetty.so auth required pam_nologin.so auth sufficient pam_ldap.so debug #auth required pam_homecheck.so auth required pam_env.so auth required pam_mail.so account sufficient pam_ldap.so debug account required pam_unix.so password required pam_pwcheck.so nullok password required pam_ldap.so use_first_pass use_authok debug password required pam_unix2.so nullok use_first_pass use_authtok session required pam_unix.so none # debug or trace session required pam_limits.so

Please don't ask me for a full interpretation since I just begin to understand the details of the PAM configuration ,)

Andreas

Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Hi,

Andreas Heilwagen <andreas.heilwagen@jamba.net> writes:

Hi,

obviously SuSE seems to have hacked unix configuration files
again. The libnsswitch-ldap.conf and /etc/ldap.conf seem to have been
merged into
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf. Furthermore the PAM configuration files look
a lot different.

I can't tell about ldap.conf, but what do you think is different on
pam configuration?

Currently I can use the login and su PAM modules on my debian openldap
server box without problems, but I cannot get the SuSE 8.0 running as
client.

[...]

do not even access ldap. I would be very happy if somebody could tell
me if only nsswitch or pam is possibly broken. Furthmore it would be a
great help if sbd would have some working SuSE config files at hand
for comparison. I found no config files for a SuSE client using a
server with Turbo's LDAPv3 setup (including Kerberos, SSL and GSSAPI).

I run several SuSE Versions from 7.3 to 8.1 but admittedly with
OpenLDAP-2.1.17 and 2.1.19 but with pam modules as suse rpm's and it
works fine for me. Just let me know what you would like to know.

-Dieter