OpenLDAP database usage

Dear All,

I am new to OpenLDAP and I am following OpenLDAP 2.1 Administrator's
Guide to gain some basic idea about how to manipulate the database.
however I am still a bit confused about how to add/remove/search the
database in OpenLDAP.

1. In sldapd.conf, it says my database directory is "/var/lib/ldap". but
I see nothing in that directory. why? am I missing something?

2. Is there some way that I can see/browse my LDAP database?

3. Besides the official 'OpenLDAP 2.1 Administrator's Guide', is there
any material that caters for beginners?

Thanks and best regards,

Max