Re: Getting IMAP to work with OpenLDAP

Hi,

I did some thing else yesterday since everyone mentioned that I should use cyrus I installed the latest RPM of Cyrus-imap on my system.

How do I check if my cyrus-imap has been compiled with LDAP support, I had the complete package from the distro of Suse 8.1 professional.

What I did was that I removed the old IMAP software and installed the new one. I started the server and as expected it did not run.

I did the changes in the pam.d/imap file and /etc/nsswitch file.

but to fail all I see now in the log after this is that imap tries to autenticate as below

Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer master[26152]: about to exec /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ctl_cyrusdb
Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer ctl_cyrusdb[26152]: checkpointing cyrus databases
Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer ctl_cyrusdb[26152]: DBERROR db4: /var/lib/imap/db/__db.001: Permission denied
Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer ctl_cyrusdb[26152]: DBERROR: dbenv->open '/var/lib/imap/db' failed: Permission denied
Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer ctl_cyrusdb[26152]: DBERROR: init /var/lib/imap/db: cyrusdb error
Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer ctl_cyrusdb[26152]: done checkpointing cyrus databases
Apr 11 11:37:51 lancer master[19160]: process 26152 exited, status 1
Apr 11 11:38:08 lancer master[26154]: about to exec /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/imapd
Apr 11 11:38:08 lancer imap[26154]: executed

Matthew Schumacher wrote:
Vishal,

There are a couple of things that need to happen to make imap/pam/ldap work:

First you need to install the pam modules, then you install nss_ldap and pam_ldap. Pam_ldap authenticates the user and nss_ldap resolves the user for local files and processes and such. Onces these packages are installed you need to configure your /etc/ldap.conf to tell these packages how to connect to your directory then you need to edit your /etc/nsswitch.conf to cause the libc libraries to become ldap aware though the nss_ldap module.

Once you do those things you should be able to chown a file to a ldap user. If you can't do that then either your /etc/ldap.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf, or user record in ldap has a problem.

Once you get passed the chown test now compile imap with pam support. And create a /etc/pam.d/imap file and put this in it:

auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

That should be it, it should just work now.

schu