Re: i have no name!

Brian K. Jones wrote:
Can't believe this hasn't ever made it to this list :)

I'm running a stock Redhat 7.3 install, including the stock openldap
packages.  I've made it through the importing of NIS data into the
server, and I'm even able, at this point, to log in to another redhat
box via ssh, which gets the login info from the ldap server (yay!).

However, even though I can log into this box using info from the ldap
server, it apparently can't determine my username, because my bash
prompt looks like this: [i have no name!@host]

Also, doing an 'ls -l' in my home directory shows uid number only - no
names.

Add/Change these entriese in your /etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap
shadow:         files ldap

It's also preferable to install the nscd, which caches queries for uid and gid.

Yours, Michael Biebl

E-Mail: biebl@teco.edu
WWW: http://www.teco.edu/

TecO (Telecooperation Office) Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str.1
University of Karlsruhe 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany