Frustrated LDAP beginner

I'm trying to start an LDAP effort in my company and am just not having any luck. I'm using SuSE 8.0's openldap2 and using "Directory Administrator" (http://diradmin.open-it.org/index.php) which seems to be a great OpenSOurce tool.

I have got the server started with the following slapd.conf:

include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args
access to *
       by self write
       by users read
       by anonymous auth

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=my-domain,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=my-domain,dc=com"
rootpw          secret

directory       /var/lib/ldap

index   objectClass     eq

Some of the "suffix's" I see on the web use o=my-domain rather than dc=my-domain and they also use c=US
I obviously am missing something here how do you know which to use and why.

Now as for Directory Administrator:

I can "connect" to my new LDAP server with this tool, but when attempting to create a group or a user I get: "Invalid DN syntax"

Also how do I get create organizational units to select from? Should a "ou" be in slapd.conf? Do I have to do that from outside the tool? Are they even required?

Does anyone have some good detailed examples of ldap config files and command usage? All the stuff on the web is terrible.

Need lots of examples! After I figure all this out I'm posting my experiences to the openldap listserver...

regards

Doug Phillipson