Solaris - ldapclient - rootDN?

Afternoon,

We have a Solaris 8 box that needs name services from an openldap 2.0.x
server.  Without installing the openldap clients how do you configure the
bundled Solaris 'ldapclient?'

I have:

Edited /etc/nsswitch.conf to reflect 'files ldap'.
Tried manually creating the files (client/cred) in /var/ldap.
Tried using 'ldapclient' to create the above files.

When using 'ldapclient' I keep getting weird "Could not find rootDN."  I
have tried multiple formats of this command with no luck all of which
contain the proper base dn.

Thanks for you help,

Caylan