how to use slapadd

I used gq to dump a complete ldif file of a whole tree for backup purposes
(7000 objects).  I tried on my backup machine to use slapadd to import the
ldif, and it appeared to work, but when I browse it with gq, I see my base
DN, but it seems to not really exist and has no children.  Am I doing
something wrong?  I've been using ldapadd, but after about 5000 entries,
it must time out and complains that it can't find a particular DN anymore
(the parent of my users, ou=people).  slapadd seems designed for bulk
imports anyway.

I appreciate any suggestions.

cheers,
Michael