Re: replication to 50.000 servers

Ron Chmara wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 5, 2001, at 01:51  AM, Roel van Meer wrote:
> > Hi list,
> > I am in need of a solution where i store configuration in a central
> > database, which gets replicated to about 50.000 different machines.
> > I thought about using ldap for this.
>
> Er... bad idea.

After reading your reply, i reckoned i haven't been clear in what i
want. What i would like to do is replicate a little piece of my
master db to each of the 50.000 servers. Every server is only to get
his own little piece of the tree.

> Could you define your throughput needs, how the data works
> through the system, and most importantly, why you would need
> 50.000 identical copies of the same data, rather than fewer
> central servers? It doesn't make sense to replicate this amount
> of data to replace live searches, in most cases.

Throughput is very low. Maybe 50k to each server once, then only
updates at an average frequency of a few per server per week...

I think the mentioned solution of slurpd in one-shot mode is very
well useable.

Regards,

rolek

--