Re: attributes with no matching rules - can't delete specificvalues

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> At 03:44 PM 2001-09-03, Graeme Joyce wrote:
> >>
> >> It is a flaw rather than an error. The behavior of the server looks
> >correct,
> >> as it cannot match the value you're deleting. You need to delete all of
> >the
> >> values and replace them with the ones you want to keep by hand (e.g.
> >>

> >Thanks and yes, I realise the server is behaving correctly, according to its
> >"flawed" schema definition. However this seems like a fairly serious flaw,
> >for 2 reasons:
>
> Flawed or not, the schema is provided as specified in RFC 2256
> (which is consistent with X.500 Recommendation).  It would be
> quite inappropriate for OpenLDAP to modify standard track
> schema.

That's what I meant with flawed: not on OpenLDAP's side, but on the
standard's side. It would be VERY easy to add, say, the
telephoneNumberMatch to fax and make OpenLDAP 2.0 support exact
or substrings match and whatever. Graeme, you can do it, but then
your app would rely on non-standard behavior of your server, and
you'd be on your own.

Pierangelo.

--
Dr. Pierangelo Masarati               | voice: +39 02 2399 8309
Politecnico di Milano                 | mailto:masarati@aero.polimi.it