Re: free/non-free ladp servers comparizon

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Ron Chmara wrote:

> Cliff Friedel wrote:
> > I can tell you for a fact that we are seeing higher results than that with
> > no caching.
>
> Same here.... but in what environment? Localhost lookups? Remote lookups?

AMD K6-2 500s running SuSE Linux 6.4 and OpenLDAP 1.2.6.  Lookups are
mainly local as we replicate ldap servers like crazy to all our
machines.  If I had all of our machines lookup on 1 server, I am sure our
numbers would be even higher.  I have tried to keep the system as
decentralized as possible.  As we have only had the ISP open 3 months,
I also think the numbers for performance will go up until we hit a
consistent threshold.  Statistically though, the numbers seem significant
to prove that we are seeing higher numbers than suggested by M$.  One
important note to mention:  We turn off nscd to improve performance (I
know this sounds wrong, but nscd doesn't seem to be built for high traffic
environments.  Was hanging up and causing performance issues).

> Now that's just silly. If they were, why does iPlanet come out as the
> winner?

Not sure what you meant by this...  If you were referring to why Novell
uses OpenLDAP instead of AD, I really think it is because they are looking
to standardize themselves so they can grab more of the internet business
they have lost out on.  By using OpenLDAP, they get source to work with
and modify, allowing them to better integrate it with NDS and its tree
structure.  How iPlanet benefits from this (from what you said above) I am
not sure...

Cliff