changing entire db of info???

hello everyone...
i have managed to get 1.2.10 up and working (with a little help from my
friends..:)
basically, now i have a situation where the information that i put in
with ldapadd is not the way people would like it....the easiest thing
for me to do would be to rebuild my ldif file and then put it into the
database....by running ldapadd....however...what i need to find out is
will this just write over the other info in the database or will it just
be added to it..???

I would like very much to just strip out the old info and just run
ldapadd on a new ldif file....is there a way to do this as painlessly as
possible???

thanks for any help...
ray