Re: DNS information in LDAP

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:44:28 -0700 (PDT) Dan Rich wrote:

 >| Has anyone setup an LDAP schema for holding DNS zone and host information?
 >| I've found a couple of expired drafts that discuss schemas for doing this,
 >| but nothing recent.  Given the choice, I'd rather not have to do this from
 >| scratch if I can avoid it.
 >|
 >| My main goal is to place everything I would need to build my DNS zone
 >| files into LDAP.  This would allow for easy maintainence (via. one of the
 >| existing LDAP web tools), and it should be fairly trivial to develop
 >| scripts that would pull the data and actually build the zone files.

We've done that to enable some customers to manage their DNS
records by themselves (including creation of domains).

They enter DNS information within a web interface (made with
PHP) which update the LDAP database. Every 2 hours, DNS
records are extracted by a perl script (on a master and on a
slave DNS hosts) which generate bind files and call ndc
reload. Web interface is very simple and close to find editing process.

Not very very intellectualy satifying but it works very well
since the begining of this year, absolutely no problems.
Today, it handles 376 domains. I can give you PHP and perl
code.

Manuel