Re: ldif API

Hi Quanah,

On 13/03/17 20:08, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
1) Am I correct in thinking this will make it into the 2.5 release?

Yes, it's already in the RE25 development branch.

Ok - thanks for confirming and your prompt response.

2) Is there a rough release date planned for 2.5?

Not at this time.  We had been planning on doing an initial alpha for
2.5 to get the ball rolling on sunsetting 2.4.  I'd still like to get to
that point, but we need to get the current 2.4 release stable first
(Things like ITS#8444, ITS#8609, ITS#8589, ITS#8559, ITS#8545, ITS#8436,
ITS#8528, ITS#8125, etc).  There are also a couple of items that need
fixing in master/RE25 before we do a 2.5 alpha as well.

Understood.  Some tricky-to-reproduce bugs in there.

3) I've submitted my first patch to openldap[2], adding a new function

Great, thanks!  I can't say when it will be responded to as it'll need a
code review, most likely from Howard, and I know he's currently heavily
involved in a customer project for Symas.

The simple fact is, the project needs more active participants,
particularly knowledgable C programmers, so that things do not
continually back up waiting on Howard for a response to even get
somewhere on them. :/

Indeed. It's a pretty large and complex codebase to get into for the casual contributor. I would say (at the risk of being shot down in flames) that people are more likely to contribute if they known their code is going to make it into a release. The ldif code I was referring to in master has been there for 7 years now, which might put some people off contributing. OpenLDAP needs more developers to speed up the release cycle to attract more developers. Quite the chicken and egg problem...

Cheers,

Brett
Application Hosting | Virtual Servers | Monitoring | Email
Tel: 0131 510 0340                http://www.gladserv.com/