Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd sl_malloc.c zn_malloc.c

--On Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:23 AM +0200 Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:

[Reply for reference, reflecting offline discussions]

Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
	sl_malloc.c  1.67 -> 1.68
	zn_malloc.c  1.14 -> 1.15
Gentler message when falling back to ch_malloc

The new error message doesn't make sense, English wise.  It doesn't even
parse.

-               "slap_sl_malloc of %lu bytes failed, using ch_malloc\n",
+               "slap_sl_malloc of %lu bytes falling back to
ch_malloc\n",

Looks fine to me, but maybe I wrote "English in Norwegian".
<<slap_sl_malloc> <of %lu bytes>> <<falling back> <to ch_malloc>>.

Anyway, removing the English words fixes the problem since it's
just a trace message of little interest to users.

Certainly. The only issue with the message as it was is there was a lack of context between "bytes" and "falling back". I.e., something like "attempted" or "failed" (although I know we want to avoid the word "failed").

I think the end suggesting on #openldap-devel was something like:

slap_sl_malloc %lu bytes: ch_malloc

or similar. Completely a trace message, which will remain usefully meaningless to the end user, but still give back context for anyone who needs it. ;)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer