Re: commit: ldap/servers/slapd sl_malloc.c zn_malloc.c

[Reply for reference, reflecting offline discussions]

Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
>> 	sl_malloc.c  1.67 -> 1.68
>> 	zn_malloc.c  1.14 -> 1.15
>> Gentler message when falling back to ch_malloc
>
> The new error message doesn't make sense, English wise.  It doesn't even
> parse.
>
> -               "slap_sl_malloc of %lu bytes failed, using ch_malloc\n",
> +               "slap_sl_malloc of %lu bytes falling back to ch_malloc\n",

Looks fine to me, but maybe I wrote "English in Norwegian".
<<slap_sl_malloc> <of %lu bytes>> <<falling back> <to ch_malloc>>.

Anyway, removing the English words fixes the problem since it's
just a trace message of little interest to users.

> Which really gives the end user no idea what is wrong.

Yes, since nothing is wrong yet the message claimed it failed,
so people were asking what's wrong.

Unless ch_malloc also fails, then it might help a little to see
that it came from e.g. slap_sl_malloc of 18446744073709550382 bytes.

--
Hallvard