Re: OpenLDAP 2.5

Brett @Google wrote:
On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com
<mailto:hyc@symas.com>> wrote:

    With 2.4.21 out, and hopefully stable enough to promote to the next Stable
    release, it's time to feature-freeze 2.4 and prepare for the 2.5 branch.
    As I already announced to the OpenLDAP-Committers, we're also planning to
    switch from CVS to GIT in mid-January. Commits for 2.5 will begin after
    we've settled into GIT.

One feature might be some sort of internal thread or process api.

We already have the runqueue manager and thread pool for using internal threads.

Perhaps the ability to run a backend(s) in a seperate thread of execution, and
also maybe the ability to run arbitrary threads in the server core for things
such as cache managment, without having to implement a backend.

We tried cache pruning in a separate thread before. It doesn't make anything faster. Threads aren't a magic solution to everything. Frequently they're not the solution to *anything*.

Note that this mailing list is for discussion between actual developers of OpenLDAP software - a basic precondition is thus that you've actually spent time developing the code, and know what it already implements. Another obvious precondition is that you know the LDAP specs well enough to actually write code that implements the specs correctly.