Re: back-config design considerarions - Admin Guide fodder

--On Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:51 PM +0200 Michael StrÃder <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

=> One has to decide which route to go and after that one has to follow
that route consequently to avoid inconsistencies and double effort.

And sometimes, there is more than one route to a destination, each route with its pros and cons.

Quanah, do you have concrete ideas how to deal with possible issues when options -f and -F are used both and how to boot-strap the configuration? Should slapd.conf should be authorative or configdir/?

My understanding from the testing I did was that:

-f -F should be used one time to convert from the conf file to the config backend. I would say running slapd with -f and -F was invalid once the conversion is done.

If you need to re-bootstrap the configuration, then you should delete the old config backend directory, and use -f -F again.

And there was an ITS I filed about this some time ago, where I noted it would be useful to have a way to use -f and -F together to bootstrap the config directory that didn't result in a running slapd. Howard made a modification to allow you to do this using the "slaptest" command, IIRC.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer