Re: dropping back-ldbm (was: commit: ldap/servers/slapd connection.c)

--On Wednesday, January 19, 2005 5:59 PM +0100 Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:

Pierangelo Masarati writes:
Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:

Since LDBM is kind of deprecated in favor of BDB, etc, at what point
does OL simply drop LDBM?  Would it in particular simplify things?

I wouldn't consider this an option yet.

I wouldn't consider it an option until BDB is as easy to configure as LDBM is, if that ever happens.

Maybe it would be possible to provide a BDB configuration which is easy
to tweak because it disables features which makes BDB superior to LDBM
but need to be configured in some way?

I think this is really bad reasoning. If everyone followed that line of thought, most software would be even more bloated than it is now. The fact that you've had issues getting BDB to work in your environment is unfortunate, but it is well documented at this point as to both how to build the BDB libraries, and how to configure the BDB environment.

None of this particularly addresses what is the root policy type of question here, at what point does OL evaluate deprecated features for exclusion in new releases?

We may need a fallback solution
in case any issue (even deployment-specific) occurs.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Why is a fallback solution needed?

Maybe we've just have had bad timing, but so far BDB has had issues
every time we have had time to look at switching to BDB at our site.
E.g. one time I think we needed to apply some patch to Sleepycat in
order to turn off transaction logging in slapadd.

Anyway, LDBM works for us - a read-only database which is built
regularly from scratch - so upgrading is a low priority.

And people in that situation can do what they've done for years -- Stick to Windows 95, Windows 98, OpenLDAP 2.0, etc, etc. If they can't find the incentive to upgrade, then don't.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html