Re: passwd extop backend selection (ITS#2851)

Ando,

I think this patch should not be applied.  (redirected discussion to -devel)

The problem you are trying to solve is internal to slapd(8) and hence shouldn't
be addressed without regard to what's on the wire.   That is, the problem here
is purely with slapd(8) management of which backend(s) is associated with the
current LDAP association.

While we could change slapd(8) to support changing of selected (by userIdentity)
passwords, then that's what slapd(8) has to do when a userIdentity is provided.
That is, it must change the password associated with userIdentity.  That cannot
be assumed to be the same user as that of the current LDAP association.

Kurt