Re: NEW_LOGGING

While digging through looking for all the subsystem names for the "debug"
>directive it occurred to me that this NEW_LOGGING is a bit out of control.
>The only way to generate an exhaustive list of subsystem names is to grep
>the entire source tree.
>

>Also, this new logging mechanism will cause a noticable performance hit
>when it's compiled in, since it must do string-based searches on every
>invocation, just to decide if it needs to do any work or not. There are
>numeric subsystem IDs in ldap_log.h, which would be fine if they were
>being used, but nothing uses them.
>

>I guess I wasn't paying attention before, but shouldn't we be using these
>numeric subsystem IDs instead of arbitrary character strings?
>

>-- Howard Chu
>Chief Architect, Symas Corp.       Director, Highland Sun
>http://www.symas.com               http://highlandsun.com/hyc
>Symas: Premier OpenSource Development and Support

Howard,

I noticed it also when I started adding LDAP_LOG messages to all the files. Most of the LDAP_LOG messages right now are based on file and function name, instead of subsystem. If the list of subsystem IDs in ldap_log.h has everyone's blessings, I can make the changes since I'm currently working on it.

Julius