threading model

This is a user question about OpenLDAP's threading model. I posed this question in OpenLDAP-Software about a week ago, but no one there was able to answer it.

My question is: what are the criteria for OpenLDAP to spawn a new thread? At my small site, slapd gets up to a 32-thread pool about 4 days after being started. I am nearly certain that there is never a time where 31 new SYN packets arrive before the first client sends a FIN, so "others in use" can't be the criterion for spawning a new thread. What exactly are the criteria?

If this is a question more about the Linux TCP/IP stack than about OpenLDAP, please let me know, and suggest a form for answering it, if you can.

Thanks for your efforts. OpenLDAP is great software!