Re: question about connections and operations

> Hi!
>
> I hope I am posting to the correct list. If not, let me know.

Openldap-devel is for development on OpenLDAP itself.  I think this
would be more appropriate to the openldap-software list.  Since you
are mucking with the server itself, that might open a grey area.
I suggest further questions go to the software list.

> I am modifying the openldap code for my company (creating a new
> backend). I am using openldap 1.2x as my code base. One of the things I

I would discourage this.  The 1.2.x version is no longer being developed,
and 2.0.7 may even be more stable.  Ie. you're likely to get more help
with the current stuff than the old stuff.

> need to add is a new member variable in the Connection structure since
> all the operations within a connection need this information. Now
> different operations may modify this member. My question is, do
> operations within a connection occur possibly concurrently, or do they
> happen only in order, meaning that one operation must complete before
> the next operation within that connection may proceed. If they can
> happen concurrently, then I need a lock for my new member. If not, I
> don't.
>
> Logically, I assumed that each operation must complete before proceeding
> to the next operation becuase if the client binds (using the same
> connection), that operation certainly must complete before the next
> operation can continue. However, I think I noticed that a new thread is
> created for each operation which seems to indicate concurrency. Any help
> is greatly appreaciated.

It is possible for a client to request multiple operations on a single
connection that are processed simultaneously by the server.  However,
for a given connection, the client can control the operations.  If the
client waits for each operation to complete before requesting the next
one, then they will be sequential.  If you want to count on that, then
be my guest.  Sounds a little risky.