OpenLDAP2.0 alpha2 on BSD/OS 3.1

Hello,

I'm trying to build and run OpenLDAP2.0 alpha2 on a BSD/OS 3.1-machine. I
have one small and one big problem.

First the small one. Whatever creating the dependencies in the last section
of the makefiles (build/mkdep?) seem to leave out the target..?

Making all in /usr/home/andersm/openldap-2.0-alpha2/libraries
  Entering subdirectory liblutil
"Makefile", line 251: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 252: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 253: Need an operator

The dependencies look like this:

../../include/portable.h
/usr/include/stddef.h

instead of the more healthy (from 1.2.6-build) :

base64.o: ../../include/portable.h
base64.o: /usr/include/stddef.h

What is causing this? I manage to get around this by editing the makefiles
manually, or to skip the "make depend" altogether...

Now the BIG problem - when I run slapd and try to connect to it with for
example ldapsearch, it just hangs on the "bind":

slapd starting
connection_get(6): got connid=0
connection_read(6): checking for input on id=0
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 32 contents:
ber_get_next
do_bind
ber_get_next

<hangs until i exit the client>

Any ideas? I have tried to build with and without threads....

Thanks in advance,
Anders Mattsson
Interia