Re: aliased bases

> I may be wrong since I don't have an implementation of aliases and they are
> very poorly described in the RFCs, but my impression was that an alias should
> act similarly to a symbolic link on a file system. That is in the example you
> give, the alias should in fact work.
>
> Just to make sure that I understand your example, given a DIT like this where
> the "dc=myo,dc=myc" entry is an alias to "o=my o,c=my c":
>
>                                  o=my o,c=my c  <----  dc=myo,dc=myc
>                                    /        \
>                                   /          \
>                               ou=my ou     ou=his ou

I maybe talking out of context here, but if I understand right.
You can acheive this by "Smart referals". This is part of
LDAP v3 spec. Should be available in RFC2251.
Basically you configure a suffix dc=myo,dc=myc to refer to
o=myo,c=my c.

Now all search request coming to the dc=myo,dc=myc would be refered
to o=my,c=my c.
Now refereals can be configured within the same server name space
or to some other server using ldap url format.

You do this in slapd.conf for Netscape Directory server, but OpenLDAP
could handle this differently.

> I would expect "dc=myo,dc=myc,ou=my ou" and "dc=myo,dc=myc,ou=his ou" to be valid
> RDNs. Likewise, a search of "(objectclass=*)" under "dc=myo,dc=myc" whould return
> all the children of "o=my o,c=my c".
>
> Have I misinterpreted what I read in the X.5xx docs?
>
> > I am interested in general aliasing so if someone is working on that please let me
> > know...
>
> Make that two of us.
>
> bob
>
> Robert Streich                  streich@slb.com
> Schlumberger                    512-331-3318 (voice)
> Austin Research                 512-331-3760 (fax)

  Raj