Re: aliased bases

Hi Robert,  I have not seen any RFC specifications for aliases in LDAP.  Maybe you can let me know which RFCs they are.

  The way the DNs are composed and looked at in the openLDAP source is quite primitive and does not currently involve looking at all the components in the parentage of the DN.  That is, there is no traversal up the DIT to see if any of the parents is an alias.  Without that you cannot use one entry to alias another for the suffix.

  Doing the walk up the DIT should not be too bad although that might cause havoc with some of the backends.  I know that some of them do not define all the entries that would be required for the DIT, they emulate them using attributes from the children, so what happens if it hits a blank?  The suffix alias solution still seems like a good one to me although I may look into doing the DIT walk.

  Keep in mind that the behaviour of the suffix alias is distinct from that of a simple alias so I see implementing the suffix alias component as complementary to a general alias implementation.

Robert Streich wrote:

> Hi Robert,  While the data could be stored in the backend, the behaviour of the
> suffix is subtly different from what I would consider normal aliasing behaviour
> for an entry.  Normally, I would consider an alias consisting of one entry
> pointing to another.
>
> The suffix applies to all entries and requires a change to a part of the DN rather
> than an association between a given object and another.  That is, the suffix alias
> applies to itself and objects other than itself.
>
> For example, in what you suggest the alias would not apply in many expected cases
> (of course this would depend on exactly how you define aliases, you could define
> suffix aliases;).
>
> Consider the scenario where the search base is deeper than the aliased suffix,
> e.g. for a "real" suffix of  "o=my o, c=my c" lets suppose an alias of "dc=myo,
> dc=myc".  Now, when searching with a search root of "ou=my ou, o=my o, c=my c" a
> normal alias would not associate that with "ou=my ou, dc=myo, dc=myc" since only
> the base is aliased and no internal reference is made to all the parents.
> However, the suffix alias does the association.

I may be wrong since I don't have an implementation of aliases and they are
very poorly described in the RFCs, but my impression was that an alias should
act similarly to a symbolic link on a file system. That is in the example you
give, the alias should in fact work.

Just to make sure that I understand your example, given a DIT like this where
the "dc=myo,dc=myc" entry is an alias to "o=my o,c=my c":

                                 o=my o,c=my c  <----  dc=myo,dc=myc
                                   /        \
                                  /          \
                              ou=my ou     ou=his ou

I would expect "dc=myo,dc=myc,ou=my ou" and "dc=myo,dc=myc,ou=his ou" to be valid
RDNs. Likewise, a search of "(objectclass=*)" under "dc=myo,dc=myc" whould return
all the children of "o=my o,c=my c".

Have I misinterpreted what I read in the X.5xx docs?

> I am interested in general aliasing so if someone is working on that please let me
> know...

Make that two of us.

bob

Robert Streich                  streich@slb.com
Schlumberger                    512-331-3318 (voice)
Austin Research                 512-331-3760 (fax)

--
Will Ballantyne     GEMS Technical Architect
mailto:Will.Ballantyne@gems1.gov.bc.ca