ModifyDN -- subtrees or not?

An issue has recently come up in the Directory Interoperability Forum
concerning what RFC 2251 really says on the matter of using ModifyDN to move
subtrees.  As I read it, there's no clear conformance statement (a la RFC
2119) one way or another. The entire discussion in paragraph 4.9 is in plain
English (with no use of RFC 2119 keywords such as MUST).  On that topic,
draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-02.txt is no clearer.

It seems to me this is an issue that needs clarifying.  Any thoughts?

 -- Skip Slone