Re: How wold you go about writing a new OpenLDAP backend?

On 05/31/2017 02:55 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
Prentice Bisbal wrote:
On 05/31/2017 12:37 AM, John Lewis wrote:

What if I wanted to write a OpenLDAP backend for a systemd journal file
or Elasticsearch so I can present my logs as an LDAP subtree so I can
use my LDAP tools to filter my logs? Should I use back-shell for
prototyping? If so, what is the usual work flow?

This sounds like the wrong tool for this job.

Really? Can you give a point by point comparison against what you think is the "right" tool for the job?

That's the wrong question to ask, since I never made any claim as to what the right tool is. A better question to ask would be why I think this is the wrong tool. So here's my reply to that: It doesn't seem like this is a job LDAP was designed for. To me, LDAP is really just a standardized database interface that make certain type of DB looks up easy, and most importantly, standardized.I would think a more general purpose database interface would be better for this.

Unfortunately, I'm not a database expert, so I can't give you the "point-by-point argument you requested.

Now your turn - why would OpenLDAP be a good fit for this over other databases?

--
Prentice