Re: How wold you go about writing a new OpenLDAP backend?

On Wed, 2017-05-31 at 15:07 -0400, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> On 05/31/2017 02:55 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
> > Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> >> On 05/31/2017 12:37 AM, John Lewis wrote:
> >>

> >> This sounds like the wrong tool for this job.
> >
> > Really? Can you give a point by point comparison against what you
> > think is the "right" tool for the job?
>
> That's the wrong question to ask, since I never made any claim as to
> what the right tool is. A better question to ask would be why I think
> this is the wrong tool. So here's my reply to that: It doesn't seem like
> this is a job LDAP was designed for. To me, LDAP is really just a
> standardized database interface that make certain type of DB looks up
> easy, and most importantly, standardized.I would think a more general
> purpose database interface would be better for this.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not a database expert, so I can't give you the
> "point-by-point argument you requested.
>
> Now your turn - why would OpenLDAP be a good fit for this over other
> databases?
>
> --
> Prentice

Yes, LDAP is really just a standardized database interface. That is the
point. I want my logs available through an IETF standardized protocol so
I can reuse tools so I don't have to maintain as many tools.

OpenLDAP would be a good fit over other databases because Michael, and
Howard, and the other contributers to OpenLDAP did most of the work for
me.