Re: Antw: Re: Script for mass updates

>>> "Ralf Mattes" <rm@mh-freiburg.de> schrieb am 06.02.2017 um 17:25 in
Nachricht
<45d3-5898a380-1c9-2963e90@255445144>:

> Am Montag, 06. Februar 2017 08:34 CET, "Ulrich Windl"
> <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> schrieb:
>

>> Why not? That's the "dirty" part of the quick response: People may be
> started
>> quickly, but have to fix the dirty details if they are affected.
>
> I strongly disagree (note: this is not a comment on the script posted but a
> general remark). Your standpoit assumes that the person asking for a
> solution is
> able to judge the quality/completeness/bugs /corner cases of the solution
> provided
> before running the script. But a person with such knowlege would never need

> to ask
> for such a solution. And "if they are affected" might translate into "once
> they've lost
> valuable data".

I disagree: Even scientists don't reinvent the wheel. First they look what
others already did, then try to build on that.
People asking for some solution should always be able to test whether the
solution proposed is suitable for their needs.
Even professional software (if such a thing really exists) claims that the
customer is solely responsible to check whether the software fits its needs and
works correctly. Of course after having paid for it.

Also, software that may fit perfectly for one's need, may be unsuitable for
other people.

Ulrich