fresh (distro's) installation and cn=config password

hi everybody,
this must be one of the most ancient questions - but browsing (centos') local docs reveal nothing. I'd imagine passwords is that first & most important thing everybody does to make sure slapd is secured, something like "mysql_secure_installation"

I'm trying to do something I'd think is simple and should just work, but, I'm wrong, so I do:

slapadd -v -n0 <<EOL
dn: olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config
objectClass: olcDatabaseConfig
olcDatabase: {0}config

olcRootDN: cn=admin,cn=config
olcRootPW:: exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

EOL

and I get in return:
slapadd: could not add entry dn="olcDatabase={0}config,cn=config" (line=1): autocreation of "olcDatabase={-1}frontend" failed

So that question - how does one secure ldap installation?
But I'd insist on not referring something like "slaptest and convert old school to ..." or .. edit config file(s) What I think is - I have a clean installation which is configured in probably best possible way but missing is: olcRootDN, olcRootPW How to use slapadd for it? Is slapadd not the right tool for this?

many thanks,
L.