Re: RHEL7 issues maybe???

--On Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:10 PM -0400 Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey@uvm.edu> wrote:

Today at 11:35am, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:27 PM -0400 Frank Swasey
<Frank.Swasey@uvm.edu> wrote:

Folks,

   I am working on moving my OpenLDAP 2.4.44 environment from RHEL6 to
RHEL7.  I want to double check an assumption I have made before I open a
report with Red Hat about the quality of their product.

   I am assuming that with "loglevel sync" and an empty consumer, that
there should be one sincrepl_entry line that has "inserted UUID" in the
syslog output for every entry created.  Is that a valid assumption?

You're assuming RHEL7 logs to syslog by default.  My experience so far
is  that it may or may not.  I'm not sure why sometimes it does and
sometimes it  doesn't, and instead logs to journald.

I'm not assuming that completely.  I have configured rsyslogd to send
LOCAL6 to /var/log/slapd.log and am passing "-l LOCAL6" to slapd in the
startup.  I am assuming the system is actually going to do what I told it
to (and that I've told it correctly).  I'm asking the question to see if
my assumption is faulty or not.

Right, we always configure things to use syslog. I'm simply telling you, in my experience, regardless of whether or not we had things configured to use syslog, RHEL7 *may or may not* honor that. There's some article I found before that details how to fix it so rsyslog works again under RHEL7 when you hit this case, that I'm trying to track down and send to you.

Again, I have no clue why RHEL7 does this. Literally I can install a series of VMs on RHEL7. Some correctly log out to rsyslog, some don't, without tweaking them. I.e., some default to only logging to journald and have to get reset to use rsyslog.

Platform Architect
Manager, Systems Team
Zimbra, Inc.
A division of Synacor, Inc