ldapdelete recursive (-r) with syncrepl

I'm trying to create backup and restore scripts using LDAP command line tools.   Creating a suitable backup and loading it are no problem.   However, if I attempt to:

# ldapdelete -ZZ -r o=xxx,dc=yyyy,dc=zzz

It appears to work fine on the master replica where the command was run, but the other (MMR) master still maintains the entire DIT fragment.    It doesn't ever seem to delete any of the entries.

Is there anything unique about the (-r) recursive ldapdelete?   Is this behavior unique to "refreshOnly"?   Should I use "refreshAndPersist"?   Or do I need to implement a session log?

Thanks for any help or advice,

--
Frank