Re: how to add users to LDAP and test authentication?

--On Friday, February 12, 2016 7:17 PM +0000 Mary Kao <wmcic@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,

Would appreciate being pointed to good documentation for adding users to
LDAP directory and testing user authentication?

"ldapadd" is a good utility for adding users. "ldapwhoami" is a good way to test.

Your question unfortunately lacks the detail to help you much beyond that. For example, we do not know what type of "user" you are asking about? A "person" object? An "account" object? etc.

You might find the following in the Admin guide of use:

<http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/guide.html#The%20LDIF%20text%20entry%20format>

The critical thing to keep in mind, is that you have to determine what requirements /you/ have for your "user" entries. We can't determine those for you. It could be something very simply (An account entry with very few attributes) or complex (A person using inetOrgPerson, with numerous attributes from inetOrgPerson plus other attributes that inetOrgPerson inherts from) to something entirely custom (an account or person entry that's been extended by a custom schema, etc).

The OpenLDAP source tarball includes a "tests" directory that has LDIF entries used in testing, including various types of account and/or user type entries. They may be of help to you as /examples/ as well, like:

<http://www.openldap.org/devel/gitweb.cgi?p=openldap.git;a=blob_plain;f=tests/data/test-whoami.ldif;h=6a70ab42a8f60b272ab511860f29e986449e47c9;hb=HEAD>

If you can provide more information on your goals, we may be able to help you further with your request. Hope this helps!

Platform Architect
Zimbra, Inc.
A division of Synacor, Inc