BINDDN in ~/.ldaprc ignored(?)

Hi,

BINDDN in ~/.ldaprc seems to be ignored or I'm doing something wrong.

/etc/openldap/ldap.conf is empty.

~/.ldaprc is:

$ cat ~/.ldaprc
BINDDN      <myBindDN>
BASE        <myBaseDN>
URI         ldaps://<myLDAPServer>
TLS_REQCERT never
$

ldapsearch returns an error if I don't declare the bindDN on the commandline:

$ ldapsearch -W -v cn=xyz
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
Enter LDAP Password:
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)
additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Unspecified GSS failure. Minor code may provide more information (No Kerberos credentials available)
$

Using strace I can see, that ~/.ldaprc is accessed by ldapsearch. So either BINDDN is ignored or I am doing something wrong.

but works happily with the bindDN on the commandline:

$ ldapsearch -D <myBindDN> -W -v   cn=xyz
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
Enter LDAP Password:
[... ldapsearch results ...]
$

Using strace I can see, that ~/.ldaprc is accessed by ldapsearch. So either BINDDN is ignored or I am doing something wrong.

This is with openSUSE 13.1 and ldapsearch 2.4.33.

Cheers
Frank