mdb wont replicate

at some point in the past, i wound up taking drastic measures and rebuilt my two ldap boxes after taking a backup of the data. i think my process could use some fine tuning and polishing, as a weird nuance has found its way into my environment.

i am replicating, using MMR, both config and data between two servers. the config and schemas replicate without issue, as well as the data in the mdb, but not any of the settings for the mdb. if i try, for example, to add an ACL or Index to the mdb, i get an error "ObjectClass modifications are not allowed".

i think the root of my issue is that i backed up one of the two boxes and restored the one backup to both boxes while they were both offline. i believe that because they both have the same backed up data on them, some of the internal attributes are identical and therefore conflict. i have seen logs about ContextCSNs being identical, but haven't had time to investigate those messages till now. in any case, whatever i did wrong now does not allow the mdb settings to be replicated between the boxes.

what i am looking to understand is how to i correct the situation. i am looking to avoid recreating all of the data, so using backups, exports, etc is something i want to do, and do correctly.

would i need to capture slapcat output to a file, or is ldapsearch the correct way to export the data for backup/restore needs? do i need to follow a destructive path to correct this issue or will surgery on the mdb correct my issue?

i am running 2.4.39 on Fedora 20.  any pointers would be appreciated.

brendan