Re: Significance of name forms.

Michael Ströder wrote:
On 2015-04-30 13:37, Howard Chu wrote:
No. Name forms are only used when a DIT Structure Rule references them.

Are you sure? If yes, then please point out what's missing herein:

http://www.stroeder.com/img/LDAP_Schema_References.png

IMO it's the other way round:
You cannot use DIT Structure Rules without associated Name Forms.

The governing structure rule might limit the set of possible structural
object classes in a part of a DIT but if absent or not applicable you
can still limit to possible name form(s) for a chosen structural object
class.

Also note that my web2ldap has full support for DIT Structure Rules and
Name Forms. I've checked my code: Applicable name forms are determined
by the structural object class, nothing else. I'm eager to correct any
possible issue in my schema handling.

Note that you can define an arbitrary number of name forms for any particular structural objectclass. In the absence of a governing DIT Structure Rule you have no way to select which one is relevant. In reality, none of them are, name forms are only active when a DIT Structure Rule uses them.

--
  -- Howard Chu