Q: LDIF: use replace instead of add/delete?

Hello!

I have a question:
Is it always OK to use LDIF "replace", even if the attribute doesn't exist yet? If so, is it also OK to use "replace" with out specifying an attribute value instead of using "delete"?
I actually managed to do the first one, and the operation is logged as "replace" not as "add" in accesslog. I wrote a program that uses accesslog to create an "undo-LDIF" to undo recent changes on demand. Now with that "replace" having succeeded, the undo operation created for it would be the second case ("replace" with no new value).

Regards,
Ulrich