Re: Invalid DN errors

--On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:24 AM -0600 Nick Bright <nick.bright@valnet.net> wrote:

The application is attempting to create entries with these attributes:

Primary Key: x500UniqueIdentifier
Attributes: cn, uid, sn, givenname, userPassword, dn, x500UniqueIdentifier

I would appreciate some basic guidance as to what to do, or some
direction to the proper documentation or guide for solving "invalid DN"
while attempting to add entries to the directory.

Interesting... I've never seen any one try to use x500UniqueIdentifier as a DN component before. It looks like it expects a bitstring:

olcAttributeTypes: ( 2.5.4.45 NAME 'x500UniqueIdentifier'
 DESC 'RFC2256: X.500 unique identifier'
 EQUALITY bitStringMatch
 SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.6 )

The syntax leads us to:

<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2252.txt>

Which, in section 6.3, gives us the requirements and an example:

6.3. Bit String

  ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.6 DESC 'Bit String' )

  Values in this syntax are encoded according to the following BNF:

     bitstring = "'" *binary-digit "'B"

     binary-digit = "0" / "1"

  Example:

       '0101111101'B

So clearly, the value your application is supplying is not valid, thus the error is correct. I would suggest using a more appropriate attribute.

Server Architect
Zimbra, Inc.