Invalid DN errors

Greetings,

I hope this is an appropriate mailing list to ask for some assistance. I will state up front that my LDAP experience is extremely limited - essentially noob level.

I've been attempting to set up openldap 2.4.39 on CentOS 6 via the official distribution packages. The server is up and running, and my application is connecting successfully, and attempting to add entries to the directory; so I believe I have the most fundamentals in place like the directory manager password, and basic base DN. When connecting with an LDAP browser, I see "dc=valnet,dc=net" which was the configured base DN.

When my application attempts to add to the directory it searches for the entry, then adds if the entry isn't found. I'm receiving this error:

54760bfd conn=1003 op=971 do_search: invalid dn: "x500UniqueIdentifier=45270,dc=valnet,dc=net" 54760bfd conn=1003 op=971 SEARCH RESULT tag=101 err=34 nentries=0 text=invalid DN 54760bfd conn=1003 op=972 do_add: invalid dn (x500UniqueIdentifier=45270,dc=valnet,dc=net)
54760bfd conn=1003 op=972 RESULT tag=105 err=34 text=invalid DN

I suspect that I am missing some sort of extremely basic configuration item, but I've been having a very very difficult time locating relevant documentation - everything I find in my searches references the old style configuration, not the new style LDIF configuration with cn=config directories, nor have I found any information about how to troubleshoot an "invalid DN" error. It appears that I may be missing a schema file such as inetOrgPerson or nis.

The application is attempting to create entries with these attributes:

Primary Key: x500UniqueIdentifier
Attributes: cn, uid, sn, givenname, userPassword, dn, x500UniqueIdentifier

I would appreciate some basic guidance as to what to do, or some direction to the proper documentation or guide for solving "invalid DN" while attempting to add entries to the directory.

-  Nick Bright                                -
-  Vice President of Technology               -
-  Valnet -=- We Connect You -=-              -
-  Tel 888-332-1616 x 315 / Fax 620-331-0789  -
-  Web http://www.valnet.net/                 -
- Are your files safe?                        -
- Valnet Vault - Secure Cloud Backup          -
- More information&   30 day free trial at    -
- http://www.valnet.net/services/valnet-vault -