troubles while setting-up ldap server + pam

Hello,

I am installing openldap in my cathedra and am running into a strange
problem.

Currently I configured the server and imported some entries (from the
existing nis base).

Then I set-up a client station. Unfortunately I am currently unable to
log-in with a user account on the client station.

The strange problem consists in the following :

 - When I use libnss_ldap and libpam_ldap the client sends multiple
requests, receives multiple answers (with correct values for the given
user), but then at one moment the server sends a FIN,ACK packet and in
the auth.log of the client machine I see a message saying "failed to bind
to ldap server" or something like this. I get this information from a
network analyzer. From the server side everything seems OK.

 - When I use libnss_ldapd and libpam_ldapd, the communication is OK, but
it seems that the client is not asking for the userPassword agrument and
so, there is no way to login (it only asks for "loginShell cn gidNumber
uidNumber objectClass homeDirectory gecos uid" and then in another
request "shadowExpire shadowInactive shadowFlag shadowWarning
shadowLastChange uid shadowMin shadowMax"

I am able to make a ldapsearch from the client side with the binddn
specified in the pam_ldap.conf and libnss_ldap.conf and all the
information is successfully retrieved.

Any advices are welcomed.

Thanks,

--