[Date Prev][Date Next]
Re: best practices WRT resizing a MDB backend?
- To: Brian Reichert <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: best practices WRT resizing a MDB backend?
- From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:11:51 -0700
- Cc: email@example.com
- Content-disposition: inline
- Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.9.2 edge01.zimbra.com 5993C4401A
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=zimbra.com; s=C2AA288C-EE47-11E2-9BB0-E820BDD9BDBF; t=1408691541; bh=MlaKHJTDRJgRBWjrqRffFWjpOqkUNgCLEUTpRxHI5hg=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=fHpIJZ2HMRVv5NA3JwIDc5FXFQ5SejjyyZzNlDRnxCrlN70J45EwzUK5AffYZQy4F I7p3nCnmIE8LBIBKlzzkYgvIefkGBC52dyJwqJuqzhZye0s+RZb5DoGdfOJ8YnHNBp 36EtLP2pk4GK6krXfVlrxFOdnJMefsern8LoZXnQ=
- In-reply-to: <20140822015302.GM5409@numachi.com>
- References: <20140821210235.GH5409@numachi.com> <58E94D29B4263151578CBF37@[192.168.1.2]> <20140822015302.GM5409@numachi.com>
--On Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:53 PM -0400 Brian Reichert
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 03:55:09PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Zimbra already does all of these things using writemap. You could look
at what we've done in relation to this. But I agree with Howard,
there's generally little advantage to downsizing the writemap.
Ok, noted, downsizing is not an appropriate tactic. That means
making a reasonable good guess to start with, something short of
'use the whole disk'.
You've suggested writemap in response to other questions I've asked
on this list; I think I shall take the hint. :)
Is your OS a BSD or Linux?
Last time I tried on BSD, it didn't use sparse files with writemap like
Linux does. It just made a massive file on disk of the size specified for
the maxsize. I.e., BSD didn't correctly support sparse files with writemap.
Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration