trouble with {APR1}

Hi list,

In ITS#7869 I reported what I thought was a bug in the pw-apr1 contrib passwd module. Howard has proven me wrong quite conclusively, but I still can't make it work; so having wasted more than enough of his time, I thought I'd waste some of yours. ;)

In short, I'm starting from pristine git master sources:

./configure --enable-modules
make -j8 && sudo make STRIP= install

building and installing pw-apr1:

cd contrib/slapd-modules/passwd
make PROGRAMS="pw-apr1.la" && sudo make PROGRAMS="pw-apr1.la" install

adding config and data (attached), starting slapd, and trying:

ldapwhoami -H ldap://:9001 -x -D uid=test1,dc=example,dc=com -w seekrit

As per Howard's last message on the ITS, that should be correct, but:

ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

The three entries should all have the same password. The {SSHA} one works for me, but neither of the first two.

The module is loaded and being called, gdb confirms it.

My environment is a minimal 64-bit Debian unstable system. Base system plus build-essential and libltdl-dev, no other optional dependencies, never had any OpenLDAP bits installed before. Tried under stable (wheezy) also; same behaviour. (Is there possibly some other package whose presence or absence might affect things?)

Can someone point out a silly build or config mistake, or suggest something else I might have done that messed this up?

thanks for reading,
Ryan
dn: cn=config
objectClass: olcGlobal

dn: cn=module,cn=config
objectClass: olcModuleList
olcModuleLoad: pw-apr1

dn: cn=schema,cn=config
objectClass: olcSchemaConfig

include: file:///usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.ldif
include: file:///usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.ldif

dn: olcDatabase=mdb,cn=config
objectClass: olcMdbConfig
olcSuffix: dc=example,dc=com
olcDbDirectory: .
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: domain

dn: uid=test1,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: account
objectClass: simpleSecurityObject
userPassword: {APR1}FK7q3pAf80k0Wh9BYZJ0FHBlcHBlcm9u

dn: uid=test2,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: account
objectClass: simpleSecurityObject
userPassword: {BSDMD5}TvI7yUE++iEAGjN3LfD3l3BlcHBlcm9u

dn: uid=test3,dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: account
objectClass: simpleSecurityObject
userPassword: {SSHA}G/7YIyIO+SHwRUuVBn7PTNGy88TJkKUu