Re: Fw: Salted hashes

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 09:49:36AM -0500, espeake@oreillyauto.com wrote:
> I have been doing some reading on the salted hash and I know that I never
> setup a salt for servers.  We are doing some documentation for our security
> people and the question came up about the salt and if it differs for each
> user, or if the same salt is used?

The basic idea of a salted hash is that the salt is different for
every user so that a rainbow table of hashes is only useful for a
single password.

Usually, the salt is randomized when a hash is generated.

Greetings
Marc

Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621 31958061
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 621 31958062