Re: Antw: Re: Max length allowed for a password

Ulrich Windl wrote:
Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> schrieb am 09.12.2013 um 21:46 in Nachricht
<52A62C26.8080501@symas.com>:
Rob Tanner wrote:
Hi,

We are looking at extending the allowed length of passwords we allow people

use (the theory being that a short phrase is easier to remember than a
shorter, but arbitrary string of characters).  But since we use our ldap
server for authentication to a whole host of online tools, including
several
portals, I need to know the max length of the source password when doing a

bind.

There are no maximum lengths in LDAP. Limits imposed by other applications
depend on the particular application.

Right, but what about typical input buffer lengths in the openLDAP tools (like
ldapsearch)?

Part of the point of the open source movement is to allow end users to read the source and see what the code they use actually does. This is a cornerstone of free software, and a key distinction between it and proprietary software. Learn to exercise this freedom.

Since LDAP imposes no limits on the maximum length of a password, it would be moronic for OpenLDAP software to impose limits of its own; that would prevent the tools from working with all possible LDAP servers. You can either trust that we are not morons, or distrust that and use something else instead, or read the source and see for yourself. Whatever choice, your question was a waste of time.

--
  -- Howard Chu